The legal profession has large numbers of attorneys in major cities such as New York. This does not mean that most of them have the necessary qualities to be considered a good attorney. If you or a friend or family member suffered an accident and you are looking for a competent lawyer, take the time necessary to analyze each professional from different perspectives so that you do not make a permanent mistake. The success of your case not only depends on the merit of your case, but also on who represents it.
Essential Factors to Consider Before Selecting an Accident Lawyer
- Experience: The Rules of Professional Conduct of the State of New York, Section 1.1 a) requires lawyers to offer competent representation to the clients, but our lawyers go beyond these requirements. It is indispensable for the lawyer who represents you to have legal experience in this area of law and in the city or district where you are being represented. In this way, the attorney not only knows relevant laws but also knows the judges of that court and his or her tendencies and ways of interpreting the law.
- Reputation: You should analyze if the attorney or group of attorneys you are considering has a good reputation both among their clients and among their legal colleagues. An intelligent, honest lawyer is respected both by his or her clients and by professionals in his or her field.
- Results: The number of cases accepted by the attorneys that obtain the anticipated results should be analyzed.
- Financial Resources: Usually, legal battles are extremely costly. Included in the cost are court expenses, retention of experts and hours of labor. The multinational companies that you sue create difficulties so that you will desist or accept a minimum financial agreement. If the law firm you selected does not have financial security, they will be intimidated and weakened by their lack of funds. You should have an attorney that is financially capable of arriving at a fair agreement for you, without pressure or intimidation.
- Respect for the Client: Another significant factor is that the attorney is considerate and respectful of you; that he or she is surrounded by a team where everyone understands that you take priority. If you call with a question that can’t be answered by the legal staff, your lawyer should answer your call within 24 hours. If you are financially pressured, your lawyer should fight to obtain a financial agreement as soon as possible, although he or she does not agree. You are the boss.
- Understanding Your Language: Logically, a lawyer who speaks your language is not more competent. However, you feel more secure as the client when you know that your lawyer speaks the same language and you can communicate with him or her without an interpreter. Even with a good interpreter, sometimes the essence of the conversation gets lost in translation.
Modern: The attorney group should demonstrate that they change over time, that they are capable of having physical presence in society, as well as online. Check to see if they have a competent website, if they respond in the same way to your telephone calls as they do to your emails. This indicates that they not only know about law but also about technology and are able to adapt to a constantly-evolving society. The last thing you want is to have a retrograde lawyer.