In our legal system, plaintiffs represent themselves in court under the title pro se representative. However, the legal minutiae and costs associated with lawsuits usually lead to seeking and hiring an attorney, specifically one who specializes in this branch of law. If you have suffered an accident in the state of New York and were injured, we recommend that you file a lawsuit through an auto accident lawyer to be able to get back what you deserve.
Reasons You Should Contact a Car Accident Lawyer
- Complexity of New York law: New York state law requires victims of automobile accidents to have an injury severe enough to be able to establish a legal claim. This is known as the legal threshold. The legal threshold requires you to have suffered death, disfigurement, fracture, loss of fetus, loss of the use of an organ or member of the body, or temporary disability that hinders you from performing everyday tasks for more than 90 of the 180 days following the accident. It is a complex requirement and it is advisable to consult with a lawyer in these cases.
- Free consultation: When you receive the offer of a free consultation, you have nothing to lose but much to gain if you request it. With Grupo MedLegal’s accident attorneys and physicians, this consultation is very thorough and we review all medical documentation, the police report, and your testimony to determine if you have a case. Even if we do not take your case, we explain which are your best options and way to proceed.
- Statute of limitations: For New York automobile accidents, you have 3 years to make a claim and 2 years if the accident was fatal. Although there are exceptions, if you do not take the claim to court within the established period, you lose your right to a claim—even if your case has merit. When you hire competent lawyers such as the ones from Grupo MedLegal, we guarantee that that the statute of limitations and other dates established by the court are followed to the letter of the law.
- People who should be included in the claims: Just because your spouse or young child was not present in the accident does not mean they do not have the right to receive compensation. There are laws such as the loss of consortium that authorizes your close family members to sue under your same claim.
- Right to payment for medical treatment: Insurance companies are not always willing to pay all the benefits to which you are entitled. Grupo MedLegal’s accident doctors and attorneys work together, reviewing the insurance policies. Our physicians estimate the amount of treatment or therapy you are entitled to and our attorneys take care of obtaining the pertinent payments.
- Financial competence to carry out litigation: A legal claim involves many expenses, including court costs. Every time you have to register a paper in court, you have to pay money. Besides, you have to pay for medical reports, or the time for the physicians who will testify if your case goes to trial. There are many more expenses associated with the litigation, such as depositions, vendors authorized to deliver reports to the court, etc. Grupo MedLegal’s accident physicians and attorneys cover the costs mentioned above. They only get money back if you are remunerated for the injury sustained. You do not run any risk.
- Fiduciary duty: This is the legal term that basically means that the attorney is going to act with your interest in mind and any decision taken will be with the objective of benefitting you. He or she may not interfere with other interests or priorities, even when these interests affect the attorney. We, the attorneys at Grupo MedLegal, strictly adhere to the code of ethics and the fiduciary duties of our clients. Your wellbeing and monetary recuperation are our highest priority. We will always keep you informed and counsel you about the best way to proceed but we allow you to make the final decision.