¡Cuando es demanda, Grupo MedLegal®... Manda!

Grupo MedLegal connects consumers with participating lawyers and/or doctors and in no case provides legal or medical advice nor does it intend to be a law firm, lawyer referral service or medical provider.

Grupo MedLegal® > Blog > Workers Compensation > What Should You Do If You Are Injured at Work?

What Should You Do If You Are Injured at Work?

If you have had a workplace injury in New York City, you may be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits. Immediately following the injury is the time when there is most confusion and when the worker needs help most. Workers’ compensation laws can be quite complicated for the person who is unaccustomed to working with them. Our workplace injury doctors and lawyers at Grupo MedLegal will know exactly how to help you, informing you of your rights and working to help you obtain the benefits that are your right by law.

Steps to Follow for an Injured Worker

  • You should notify your employer, in writing, of the injury details: when, where, and how you were injured. You should do this within thirty days of your injury.
  • Medical reports are essential for your case. Tell your doctor that you have a work-related injury, and give him or her the name of your employer. Do not pay for the medical visit or use any other insurance company for your medical care. Ask your doctor to write a report for the Workers’ Compensation Board and for your employer or your employer’s insurance company. If your case is brought into question, the Board will need a medical report on your injury in order to begin the claim resolution process.

Filing your case

  • As soon as your employer is informed of your injury, he or she should notify the Board. You should complete an Employee Claim form in order to make an injury report as soon as possible. (You must notify the Board of your injury or illness within two years.)
  • If you have had a similar workplace injury affecting the same part of your body or a similar illness, you will have to fill out another form as well.

Payments for Medical Care

  • Do not pay your doctor or the hospital. These bills are to be paid by the insurance company, unless the Board denies your case. If your case is questioned, the healthcare providers will be paid when the Board decides on your case. If the Board decides against you or if you do not continue with your claim process, you will have to pay the doctor and the hospital.
  • Your employer’s insurance company also covers medicine and medical devices prescribed by your doctor.
  • You also have the right to be paid for transportation costs or other expenses incurred while traveling for treatment. In general, you can choose any doctor approved by the Board. You can also go to an Occupational Health Clinic. Nevertheless, if your employer’s insurance Company has a preferred provider for care of workplace injuries, you should go to these providers for initial treatment.

Benefits for Missed Pay

You have the right to a portion (2/3) of your missed pay, according to state law. There is a maximum and minimum limit on the amount of money you can recover on a weekly basis.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Contact Us

You can call us at 1800 838 3838 hours a day, 7 days a week, or fill out the following form.

What's new
Contact Us

You can call us at 1800 838 3838 hours a day, 7 days a week, or fill out the following form.

[mc4wp_form id="13860"]