At our workplace, it is perfectly reasonable to expect to be treated with respect and decency. This is where we spend a big part of our day, which is why an employment conflict many times affects us so much that it is difficult to separate it from our personal life. Trying to solve a problem of this type often requires legal assistance to be able to regain peace of mind.
If your rights at your workplace have been violated or you suspect they have been violated, contact an employment lawyer immediately. To correctly make a labor claim, it is indispensable to contact an employment law firm that can orient you and counsel you about what you should do and if you have a case or not.
You should consult an employment law firm in the following cases:
- When your work environment is not safe and represents danger. For example, it constitutes a danger if you do not have the necessary implements to protect yourself while doing your job.
- You are being discriminated against because of your age, race, nationality, gender, ethnicity, condition of pregnancy, religion, or disability.
- You do not receive fair salary. Minimum wage in the city of Chicago is $10 dollars an hour and projected to gradually increase to $13 dollars an hour in 2019.
- You are not paid overtime for extra hours worked.
- Your wages are less than what you should be paid for the work contract.
- You were fired without cause, or the cause was false.
- You have suffered a work accident, among other things.
Many workers in the United States are not aware that labor law protects them. Regardless of where you live, the type of employment you have and the size of the company employing you, your rights in the workplace should be respected. In fact, the labor laws of Chicago, Illinois ensure the protection against employment abuses, but you must make use of them to obtain benefits. Remember that it is important to contact an employment law firm that is familiar with state law in the state in which you work.