In California, you have the right to workers’ compensation benefits if you hurt yourself or become ill because of your job. Workers’ compensation covers the majority of work-related injuries and physical and mental illnesses. When you contact the doctors and accident lawyers at Grupo MedLegal, we will first refer you to our physicians. They will make sure your medical records properly reflect the severity of your injuries and show your right to disability benefits and other benefits stipulated by law.
If you get hurt at work:
- Get medical attention.
- Report your injury. Immediately report your injury to your supervisor or to a representative of your employer. Don’t delay. There are time limits. If you wait too long, you could lose your right to benefits, including disability payments.
- Consult your attending physician (PCP). This is the doctor that is in charge of treating your injury or illness. If you designated your personal medical doctor or group before your injury, in certain circumstances you can go to him or her for treatment. Otherwise your employer has the right to choose the doctor that will attend to you during the first 30 days. You may be able to switch to the doctor of your choice after 30 days.
- Medical provider network (MPN). Your employer may use an MPN, which is a network of medical care providers approved to treat workers injured on the job.
Why is your choice of attending physician important?
Your doctor will:
- decide what kind of treatment you will get.
- tell you what kind of work you can do safely while you are recovering.
- determine when you can return to work.
- make medical reports that affect which benefits you have a right to receive.
- help determine the amount of your disability payments.
- determine what life-long medical needs you will have, if any.
The doctors and lawyers at Grupo MedLegal have more than 30 years of experience litigating work-related accident cases. We know the laws and court procedures of California thoroughly. We have qualified and trained personnel to defend you who will fight for your well-being. Our reputation in Los Angeles is based on our results. If you have suffered a work-related accident, call us right away for a free consultation so that we may assist you and so you can get the disability payments you have a right to receive.
Visit our web page to get to know our team. We’re available 24/7 at 1-800-838-3838. MedLegal can also assist you in Spanish. Call now!
This Blog is made available by Grupo MedLegal for informational purposes only and does not provide legal or medical advice. The information provided on the Blog should not be used as a substitute for competent legal or medical advice from a licensed professional.